Monday, May 19, 2014

Hummingbirds


A couple of weeks ago I noticed the hummingbirds had arrived for the season. I had stepped out onto the porch and whoosh...there was one hovering near me, obviously letting me know, with some fanfare, that he had arrived and dinner wasn't waiting on him.  Ooops!  I quickly made up a batch of nectar and got it out for him ASAP.   I enjoy their visits to my feeders.

A couple of years ago, with camera in hand, I quietly sat on the top step of my porch waiting for a "hummer" to arrive at the feeders.  I snapped a few photos and when I looked at them I was surprised I had caught this one sticking his tongue out at me...how rude.  Whew! I would never have guessed their tongues were this long.

The nectar recipe I use. 

Mix 1 part white table sugar and 4 parts water. 
Slowly heat the mixture until sugar is dissolved
Allow to cool and fill feeders.

Share..Inspire..Create..Believe
~willa~


3 comments:

April said...

What a great photo! Hummingbirds are the sweetest.

Shirlee said...

My husband & I enjoy the hummers too! Great photo! And thanks for the nectar recipe. Buying it pre-made is a bit expensive.

Unknown said...

Wow that crazy Willa. I had no idea they had such long tongues either. I love visiting here and seeing all the beautiful nature photos you take. Hope you're having a wonderful day. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...