Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Snow Flake Catchers

I have told this story so many times.....but here it goes again!  I've had this kerosene can sitting  "near" my studio table for at least 3 years. You may be asking why do I wait sooooo long to paint on an item once I bring it home.  I often ask myself that question too and the answer goes back to what I've stated here before that I wait until the item "speaks" to me.  Yep, that sound crazy I know but there is a method to my madness.  I see an item I like in a vintage or thrift store, I study it and sometimes I know what I will paint on it and sometimes I don't.  If I don't know what I will paint on it, that doesn't mean I sit it down and move on; often I like the piece and know I will find something to paint on it.  Plus it "begs" to go home with me.  Yep, I'm nuts!  Ok...moving on.

For this kerosene can, none of the patterns I have made me yearn to paint their whimsical charms on this piece.  So, in October I sat the can in front of me and studied it.  I took out a pencil and paper and began to sketch a whimical design that I wanted on the can.  Before my coffee was cold I had the design I wanted.  I love creative moments like these.

I must admit as I sketched I wondered about the can.  Who owned it, did they use it to fill a kerosene heater that warmed their home on winter days like these.  It has a small dent on the back side of it, how did that happen?  I wondered if the previous owners would be surprised that I painted a wintry design on it. I love musing like this.  Things have a history and I enjoy wondering about where these items have been and who owned them. 









Thanks for stopping by, I always enjoy vistors to my little place here in the vastness of cypberspace.

Till next time....

~willa~

9 comments:

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL !!!!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I just love it! You did the perfect design for it, such great work!
Cindy

Prims and Annies said...

very nice...yes i do the same thing..my husband does not understand why something sits there so long...and I always say...it will speak to me one day as to what is painted on it.

Merry Christmas

andsewon said...

Love it! My Granny used a kerosene cook stove at one time.
Lola

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Love this, Willa!
Another wonderful painting you created!

Unknown said...

This came out so sweet! Really nice job:)

jennifer768 said...

Love it!I totally understand what you are saying.Hugs,Jen

Patty Sumner said...

I love it!!!! So creative! You always do such a great job. Blessings!

My Colonial Home said...

Oh my goodness you paint just beautifully.
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...