Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How to Stiffen Prim Fabric Ties

I use a lot of homespun strips for ties. I like top prim them with coffee stain and cinnamon. I also like them to have some stiffness to them. So many steps for doing this and so little time. Anytime I can shorten a step or two on my crafting, I’m all for it. So this is how I prim and stiffen at the same time.



Step 1: Gather the supplies you will need.
Cookie sheet and wax paper
Elmers White Glue
Cinnamon and instant coffee
A medium sized plastic container with lid (I use a large yogurt container)
Homespun rag strips.





Step 2: I use 3 tablespoons of instant coffee to 1 cup of hot water.
(I usually do 2 cups and keep any reserve in a plastic bottle)
Stir the coffee mix well so all the granules are dissolved. Per each cup of water you use, add 3 tablespoons of Elmer’s White Glue. Stir well.

The mix should look like this.

Add your rag ties, several at a time. No need to let them soak, this is a strong mixture. Wring fluid out of the ties.




Step 4: Lay the ties out on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Sprinkle with cinnamon.










Step 5: Place in an over that has been preheated to 270-280 degrees. How long you leave it in the oven depends on your oven since ovens vary in their temps. I leave mine in for 12 minutes. Start at 10 minutes and check, leave them in if they are still wet. Please don’t leave them unattended, believe me they will start to smoke if they get to hot. Remove them from the oven when they are dry to the touch.






Step 6: Let them sit for a few minutes before and then remove them from the cookie sheet. They should be pretty stiff. Add a little extra cinnamon for that wonderful cinnamon scent. Store them in a zip-lock bag.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...