Monday, February 22, 2010

Market Place Monday

Good Monday Morning Friends. I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. I don't know about you but our weekends here seem to fly by.

For my Monday Market Place I want to introduce to you Doreen of Privies and Prims and showcase her wonderful talent. Doreen is an artisan of the Etsy Group The Old Farmhouse Gathering. I am sharing an interview that Doreen participated with at the Farmhouse. Please take note of other places you can find Privies and Prims at the bottom of this post.



What is the name of your Etsy shop and why did you choose that name? Privies & Prims has been my business name for about a year. I started out in a shed at my home on Blue Rock Rd., so I named my little shop Blue Rock Country Crafts. I had my first storefront in Burnsville, NC in 2000 and named the store Privies & Perches. I was making lots of outhouse bathroom decorations and my dad was making lots of prim birdhouses, so I changed the name. Inspired by God is all I can say. It just popped into my little brain!




How long have you been on Etsy? Had to go look at my profile for this question. Seems I started in February 2008.

What type of items do you offer? Penny rugs, prim stitcheries, primitive & folk art dolls, punch needle embroidery & patterns, outhouse stuff, candle mats, prim wreaths, Americana prim t-shirts, wood signs, ornaments, & photographs of old barns and outhouses. I think that’s it.




How long have you been crafting? As long as I can remember. I used to sit at the kitchen table and trace the designs on the napkins. In high school, I made a macramé hanging large enough to cover a window! We also did pottery and leather working. My special leather project was a framed image of a Michelob beer bottle add. We used wood carving tools and I stuffed the “bottle” from the back with sawdust to give it dimension. At the time, it was my boyfriend’s favorite brand. Personally, I can’t stand the taste of any kind of alcohol. Just give me my McDonald’s sweet tea!



Who or What inspires you? First, I must give God the credit for my talents. He puts ideas into my head as I go along. I start out making a doll like the pattern photo, and then God gives me ideas to make it my own. Sometimes, I think it’s a curse. I’m always seeing stuff and thinking, “I can make that!” So, that’s why the list of things I make is so long. I just recently added punch needle embroidery to my list and I’m “hooked”. I’m designing patterns that I will sell as kits and will soon be designing prim doll patterns also that will be modeled after the mountain folk where I live.
I get inspired by PatternMart.com’s monthly newsletters, looking at others creations online, visiting prim shops, looking through catalogs, and the list goes on and on. Gosh, everything I see inspires me! I look at people in restaurants and think of making a doll to look like them!




What is your favorite item in your shop and why? My favorite creations are my primitive dolls because I love giving each one their own personality. The favorite ones I’ve made are 46” dolls from a Prim & Proper folks pattern.





Other places where you can be found:

Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/priviesandprims
Website: http://www.priviesandprims.com/
Blog: http://priviesandprimsblog.blogspot.com/
Photography Etsy Shop: http://www.thenandnowartphotos.etsy.com/.

8 comments:

Carmen S. said...

OOOhhh...I LOVE that candle mat, what awesome work:)

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

Wonderful feature Willa. Doreen does amazing work. I call her the energizer bunny because she just amazes me at the amount of things she creates in a short amount of time!
Kim

I Play Outside The Box said...

So much to love in this shoppe. Doreen is a very talented lady. Nice feature!!

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

I'm with Carmen, I LOVE that candle mat! Thanks for introducing me to Privies & Prims. I'm going to check out her blog and her wares.

Thanks Willa, I hope you have a delightful week!

Jody said...

Wow what a great feature! Love Doreen's work!

Bette said...

Great feature. I love Doreen's penny rugs.

PriviesAndPrims said...

Thanks for featuring me!!!
I love what I do and do what I love. :)

blessings,
Doreen
www.PriviesAndPrims.etsy.com

Firecracker Kid said...

Hello Willa, This peep is in your cupboard:) My weekends fly by too.
Great feature on Doreen. I love her handmades and need to go shopping with her soon.
Carol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...