Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Finish it.

I love to watch "The Biggest Loser". The contestants stories inspire me as does their determination. They struggle to overcome obstacles they have faced most of their lives. One theme throughout each season is "finish it". Finish what you start. Each challenge the contestants face is won by one person or by a team. When someone crosses the finish line, whatever that line might be, the others have the option of quitting and not completing the challenge. But each season I have watched, the contestants finish even when they are in last place. Sometimes the other contestants go and help them cross that finish line. It's inspiring.

Most of the time I finish what I start...most of the time. But there are times I give up. I have a couple of things on my craft shelf that I said "forget it" to. Honestly, I don't know if I will go back and finish them. I'd rather start over than finish what I was doing with them. One item is a boot, I don't like what I painted on it. The best option is to basecoat over it and begin something else. Who knows I might be telling its story here someday soon.

This coffee pot almost made it to the "forget it" shelf. I didn't like the colors I was using; I couldn't see the finished product in my head. But I decided to give it a couple more hours of work and see what would happen. There always seems to be that "forget it" hour in there when I'm working on something. I taught an oil painting class to some military wives when my husband and I were stationed in Guam. I remember one student who was going to put a painting aside and start on something else. She was at that "forget it" hour. But I could see the finished product so I encouraged her to continue. Just follow my directions and you will begin to see 'it' I told her. She replied "ok, I'll work on it a little longer". She ended up finishing it. I think it turned out to be one of her best works.

If you have an unfinished item you've set aside, why not take it off the unfinished shelf and finish it. It might be one of your best works.

I finally was able to take my Etsy shop off "vacation mode". I had closed it while I was working new items since most of what I had left was Christmas or winter related. I have 6 new items added and hope to add a couple of more this week.

11 comments:

TJ said...

Willa thanks for the inspirational words. I have a few doll bodies sewn that I just don't like the way they look but never thought to just "try" and invision them through different eyes. Gonna try that when I get home tonight. Who know's I may see them in a different light.
Hope your week is off to a wonderful start. So glad your back. Missed reading your wonderful posts.
Prim Huggs n Blessins
TJ

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Willa sweetie...
I believe this little coffee pot is one of your best works yet. You really outdid yourself. She would look beautiful in a dining room or kitchen area too. She speaks "Good Morning" to me. Looking at her, I too can smell the coffee just cooking away.

I love the "Biggest Loser", and Julian and Bob inspire these people to give it a little more. That is what I am going to be doing now, giving it the litte extra effort. I have put myself on the shelf to long, and am taking me off, and going to start reworking me. Thanks for the extra inspiration my sweet, sweet friend.

Country hugs sweetie and much love, Sherry

Farming On Faith said...

Good for you. I opened a booth here so I have let my Etsy shop fall by the way side.. I pray
Carrie

Farming On Faith said...

good success over your business! LOL I don't know what happened to all my comment!

Lynn said...

I sure do like your coffee pot! You've done a beautiful job on it!
I also like watching The Biggest Loser. I've got to get myself back into my weight loss and walking exercise program again! Thank goodness I am going to weight watcher's, which has been a real big help for me! I did make my goal weight back in 2008, and I am now a Lifetime member.. but, now, I've got 13 pounds that I've gained back and need to lose again and I just need to start walking every day! I've got to learn to be better at disciplining myself..which is so hard for me to do sometimes, really, alot of the time! But, I'm working on doing better!!
~Lynn

Jody said...

Aww your coffee pot is so sweet Willa! Thanks for the great post too...I have many items that I need to "just finish". Great to see your shop open again too! Have a great day!

Crystal Martin said...

what a great post. I have many items on my forget it shelf that need to be picked up again. Thanks for the inspiration. I need to get back to so many things...my blog...my etsy shop...my craft room...

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

What a delightful post... so true!!

So glad you were able to "finish" your coffee pot. It turned out beautiful! I was recently inspired by "Leslie's Whatcha Working on Wednesday". Because of that, I was able to clean out a little spot in one of my craft cabinets where the projects had been sitting for a year or two. I was ashamed of myself when I realized how close I really was to finishing them, (it only took me less than 30 min to finish both projects). They had been sitting on the "forget it" shelf for a long time. It does feel good to get it out and get it finished! Now I'm excited about what I can get out tomorrow and "finish".

Thanks for the inspiration, my friend!

Have a delightful day~

Anonymous said...

Hey Willa! I can so relate to this...just the other day I was working on a piece, and later after getting over the stomach flu... I went to go back and finish it...I just thought this is awful and threw it away! O me, maybe next time! By the way your coffee pot what a jewel, it's so cute!

Cyndimac's Nick Knacks said...

I love your "forget it" coffeepot too! I can so relate to what you are talking about...I have so many "never finished" projects. I too want to just throw down what I'm working on most times coz I'm not happy but sometimes will walk away and come back to it and am happy with the finished results...you are such a wonderful writer too! I so enjoy your posts! You just plain make me happy! (doing the happy dance!) LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Willa, my angel! Thank you for your support!! I don't know how to do a guest blog, but if you would walk me through it I would greatly appreciate it. Also the give away is something I have been wanting to do, so I think I will take your advise and give it a whirl! Thank you for every thing!!!! HUGS!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...