Friday, October 16, 2009

Cold And Rainy

It is a cold and rainy day here in Northern Virginia. Just the kind of weather that makes me want to stay in and paint. But the day is half spent and I still haven't entered my studio. But the day has not been a total loss. I had an hour long (plus) phone visit with a wonderful friend. I managed to rid most of the corners of the family room and dining room of dust bunnies (may they RIP). And the rest of the time I have been on the computer. But that wasn't a waste either. I worked on my blog graphics and my son, Nick, who is also the webmaster for Aly's Room (my pattern website) showed me how to make a pdf... that was interesting! So all in all, it has been a productive day so far. By the way, visit Nick (known Nick the Geek on the air waves) at his blog. You will find it in my blog list as "my experience as a youth pastor".
Cold and rainy weather is also makes me want to bake. If that is the case with you too, here's a pumpkin bread recipe that is one of the best I've ever had. Bake it up the next time your day is cold and rainy.




Pumpkin Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
4 eggs
1 (15 ounce) can of solid packed pumpkin
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar


Combine dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl combine the oil, water, pumpkin, eggs and apple cider vinegar. Mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Pour into 2 large bread loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove and cool on wire racks.

****When I bake sweet breads I use a non-stick bread loaf pan. I grease and flour it when a recipe calls for such. When the bread is done and taken from the oven I let it cool for 5 minutes and then shake the pan back and forth lightly til the bread is released from the pan. I then let it continue to cool for the additional 5 minutes in the pan. I haven’t had to worry about it sticking to the pan and coming out all crumbled when I turn it out on the wire rack....just a little tid-bit for you. Try it and see if it works for you. ****

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...